François Bayrou unanimously re-elected President of the European Democratic Party
The European Democratic Party (EDP), a centrist European political party, gathered on Friday 29 November in Paris (France) for its Council meeting.
During this Council, representatives of Democrat political parties from sixteen Member States unanimously re-elected François BAYROU as President of the European Democratic Party.
Marielle de Sarnez, Secretary General of the European Democratic Party, highlighted: "We must be vigilant and we, European democrats, should be at the initiative or participate in this democratic refoundation, which is more than vital for democracy and for Europe.”
Were also unanimously elected to the Presidency:
- -Nikos KOUTSOU (Cyprus), Honorary President ;
- Marielle de SARNEZ - President of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the National Assembly -, Secretary General;
- Gérard DEPREZ - Minister of State and former Member of the European Parliament elected in Belgium -, General Delegate;
- Victor PONTA - former Prime Minister of Romania -, Andoni ORTUZAR (Basque Country), Ulrike MÜLLER - MEP elected in Germany -, Executive Vice-Presidents ;
- Karl ERJAVEC - Minister of Defence of Slovenia -, Marios GEORGIADIS - former Vice-President of the Hellenic Parliament -, Marian HARKIN - former MEP elected in Ireland -, Giorgos LILLIKAS - President of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Cypriot Parliament -, Antonio MARINHO and PINTO - former MEP elected in Portugal -, Andrzej POTOCKI - former Polish MP - and Gianluca SUSTA - former MEP elected in Italy - Vice-Presidents ;
- Luigi COCILOVO - former MEP elected in Italy -, Marina DEMETRIOU (Cyprus), Jose Maria ETXEBARRIA (Basque Country), Istvan SERTO-RADICS (Hungary), Deputy Secretaries-General ;
- Jean-Marie BEAUPUY - former MEP elected in France -, treasurer ;
- Engin EROGLU (Germany), Izaskun BILBAO BARANDICA (Basque Country), Sylvie BRUNET (France), Corina CRETU (Romania), representatives of their national delegation to the European Parliament.
The Council of the European Democratic Party accepted Francesco RUTELLI's resignation during its meeting on 29 November. Francesco RUTELLI had for several months informed the Presidency of the PDE of his wish to leave his position as Co-President to dedicate himself to the IED Foundation; he had submitted his irrevocable resignation to the Presidency, held in Paris on 11 June last. The Council unanimously expressed its appreciation and thanks for the work accomplished in recent years by Mr RUTELLI, co-founder of the EDP in 2004 with François BAYROU.
The European Democratic Party welcomes a new member party from Galicia: Compromise for Galicia.
This Council meeting was also attended by Roman BRECELY - former Minister of Transport of Slovakia -, Mircea DOBRE - former Minister of Tourism of Romania and Romanian MP -, Hristo IVANOV - former Minister of Justice of Bulgaria -, Izaskun BILBAO BARANDICA, Sylvie BRUNET, Catherine CHABAUD, Engin EROGLU, Laurence FARRENG, Christophe GRUDLER, Ulrike MÜLER, Marie-Pierre VEDRENNE - MEPs -, Philippe MICHEL-KLEISBAUER, Jean-Noël BARROT and Jean-Louis BOURLANGES - French MPs -, Oana VLADUCA and Andi GROSARU - Romanian MPs -, Krisztina HOHN - Hungarian MP -, Narvay QUINTERO - Member of the Parliament of Canary Islands -, Gabi SCHMIDT - Bavarian MRP -, Yann WEHRLING - Regional Councillor for Ile-de-France -.
🇪🇺Une centaine de délégués issus d’une vingtaine de pays européens sont réunis à Paris aujourd’hui pour le conseil du @PDE_EDP.— Mouvement Démocrate (@MoDem) November 29, 2019
About a hundred delegates from 20 European countries gathered in Paris today for the @PDE_EDP council. #Europe #EU pic.twitter.com/dwZh4vTl3C
Renforçons les liens et le dialogue entre nos partis politiques nationaux pour faire vivre la démocratie européenne : j’ai participé aujourd’hui avec mes collègues députés européens au Conseil du Parti Démocrate Européen @PDE_EDP auquel est affilié le @MoDem pic.twitter.com/dLz1FiqS4z— Sylvie Brunet (@syl_brunet) November 29, 2019